For those of you who don’t know, the Liebster Award is an award for new bloggers who have less than 500 followers to and is a means of getting to know the blogger community, gaining a bit of recognition for your blog, and a piece of encouragement to keep it going! Here are the answers to the 10 questions posed by Drea as well as my 10 blogger nominations!
1. Why did you start your travel blog?
I started my travel blog as a means of documenting my travels and sharing my love of world food, providing what are hopefully useful travel tips to others, and ideally the blog will eventually provide a source of income!
2. If you could go to any place in the world, where would that be and why?
Hmm…there are quite a few! Greece and Eygpt are quite high on my list as i’ve been fascinated by their rich histories since I was a child. But after reading the book “Married to a Bedouin”, I seriously want to go to Petra in Jordan and go camping in one of the caves with the locals!
3. What are your top 3 must have items when traveling?
A neck pillow is a MUST for lengthy air travel…particularly if you are unlucky enough to get stuck in one of the middle seats!
A pen/notebook (and a good book to read!)
4. What was your favourite place that you have visited?
I loved living/travelling around Thailand! (i’ve been back to visit 3 times since living there if that is any indication!) The people, the food, the incredible scenery (and having a few great friends that live there) make me consider it my home away from home!
A few other favs are the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Spain.
5. If money was not a factor, what would be your dream job?
My dream job would be writing about food and travel full time!
6. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
7. Who is your favourite travel blogger?
I really love Adventurous Kate! I love that she inspires young women to travel on their own!
8. What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who has never traveled before?
There are a million reasons NOT to do something and a million ways to make something happen. Life is short and travel is one of the richest forms of education you can give yourself. Make it happen!
9. What do you do to overcome writer’s block?
Drink copious amounts of coffee!
10. Who inspires you?
In no particular order:
I’m a big Anthony Bourdain fan…I love his writing and travel shows!
Malala Yousafzai- I read the book “I am Malala” recently and watched a few of her interviews and this girl just wow’ed me with her positivity, desire to instil change and maturity beyond her years.
Amanda Lindhout- Her book “A House In the Sky” was literally one of the best (yet horrific) books i’ve ever read. Her resilience following her horrible experiences is mind blowing. As a fellow Canadian and female traveller I found her writing spoke to me.
Thanks again for nominating me Drea! Here are my 10 nominations and questions:
Mark & Stefy at Born 2 Travel
Isabela at Izzie Travel
Tracy at Travels with Tracy
Nick at Nick’s Travel Blog
Stasia at Travel Lust Blog
Elena at Gringa Espanola
Andrea at The Cheap Travel Blog
Anwesha at Peanuts On The Road
Shawanda at It’s All Travel
Ellie at Untranslated Adventures
1. What do you feel your greatest accomplishment has been as a traveller?
2. Who or what inspired you to travel?
3. List your top three bucket list items (i.e. places or activities while travelling)
4. What is the tastiest dish you’ve tried while travelling?
5. Do you have any favourite travel authors/shows?
6. Do you have any embarrassing travel moments?
7. Do you have a particular goal for your travel blog?
8. What is your fondest memory of travel?
9. Who is your preferred travel companion?
10. What is a life lesson you have learned from travel?