Happy Friday! I hope wherever you are in the world you and managing to find time for some fun in the sun! My summer is flying by (perhaps due to the fact i’m on holiday and my days have been spent enjoying a life of leisure?) Thus far this summer I have managed to take advantage of much of what Ottawa has to offer as well as frequented a few foodie gems in Toronto this past weekend (info coming soon).
One of the things I have been enjoying most whilst relaxing in my parents house is once again being able to cook in a proper kitchen! The kitchen in our (now previous) apartment in China was “minimalistic” at best, residing in literally only a corner of our living room, and consisting of a wonky hot plate, one gas burner and little to no counter space. (Ahh the joys of spacious Canadian living!) Despite still being able to whip up some magic in a small space, counter space, multiple burners and a variety of cooking utensils has left me with a feelings of relief and joy. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts..as I imagine I will be unable to use the adjective “spacious” to describe our kitchen in our new apartment in Hong Kong.
The sunny, warm weather (it is currently 26 C here and gorgeous) leaves me craving fresh, light and colourful dishes…such as this Spinach Salad with Smoked Salmon, Goat’s Cheese and Spiced Pecans:
The credit for this recipe has to go to my mom…who first wowed me with it and then I replicated it. This savoury, flavourful salad is full of crunchy goodness and makes a surprisingly filling lunch or light dinner! Enjoy!
- 2 cups raw Spinach
- 2 Oz Goat's cheese, crumbled
- 3 oz Smoked Salmon
- ¼ cup Red Onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup Pecans (roasted with 1 tsp brown sugar, ½ tsp of cumin, ½ tsp paprika and ½ tsp of curry powder)
- Dressing: 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Toast pecans over low heat with spices, set aside.
- Mix together olive oil, maple syrup, dijon mustard and lemon juice.
- Layer salad ingredients, starting with spinach as a base, sprinkle onion, smoked salmon, red onion, and roasted pecans. Pour dressing over salad. Eat and enjoy!